Toki no Tabibito - Time Stranger
Released in 1986. Produced by Kadokawa Haruki Jimusho and Kadokawa Shoten. Animation by Madhouse and Project Team Argos.
Agino Jiro escapes the despotic world of the twenty-fifth century by stealing a time machine. He's forced to highjack a car to use as a power source in the twentieth century, and accidently brings a group of high school students along with their teacher with him. They make brief stops during the fire bombing of Tokyo, the Meiji Revolution, and the battle of Sekigahara to escape the Time Patrol agent sent to hunt them down. Their final destination is 1582, where they become guests of Oda Nobunaga, just four days before his assassination. They then must make a hard choice about whether or not to change history.
When you think about hit anime movies from the 1980s, probably the only ones you can think of are the Studio Ghibli movies. Well, here's a pretty good anime movie from 1986! There are several unexpected twists, some cool battles, and moments of humor. It's kind of like Back to the Future. I think you'll like this movie if you're a sci-fi & history buff.
- If you have a device that supports casting, via Chrome my videos can be casted to your TV. The cast icon appears after you click to play a video.
- Most of the anime on this site was made for old TV resolutions (non wide screen). However, keep in mind that most modern TVs have the ability to stretch the screen. Try that feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you. Here's a comparison of standard/stretched screens.
- Is video not playing? Wait a minute or two; depending on your Internet speed it could take a while.
- Is video loading slow? The High Quality videos require high speed Internet. You might have better luck with the Low Quality version. If that doesn't help, try downloading the movie so you can play it in full.
Having problems viewing this movie? Need it in another format? Going on a flight? Or just want to keep it? Here it is for download. Right-click the button below and go to Save Target As to download it. Or you can left click it, and on the next page go to File > Save Page As to download it.
- MP4 plays natively on pretty much everything: computers, TVs, smartphones, tablets, video game systems, set-top boxes like Roku/Apple TV, etc.
- Try it out! Save this movie to a thumb drive and play it on your TV.
- As mentioned above in Notes, make use of your TV's stretch feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you.
- Another great option is to use Plex to stream MP4 movies from your computer to your TV through your Wifi. It's a free app. Install it on your Windows or Mac, then install it on your set-top box (Roku/Apple TV/Fire Stick/etc.). Just note that Plex will only detect these movies in an Other Videos library because the “Movies” library doesn't detect rare/obscure anime classics.
EYES of Mars
1 hr 12 min
The planet of Mars is dying. A young psychic is everyone's last hope!
A Wind Named Amnesia
1 hr 21 min
One day, a wind breezes across the world, causing everyone to lose their memories.
Tank Police Series
4 episodes, 35 min each
A vigorous new female recruit to the Tank Police wages war against crime. Follow her struggle and that of a gangster.