Released in 1988. Produced by Madhouse and Video Art. Animation by Madhouse.
Kyoya's father was a great warrior, killed at the hands of the diabolical psychic, Rebi Ra, who has now opened a portal to hell in the city of Shinjuku. It falls to Kyoya to finish what his father started and battle his way through demons while protecting a young woman from harm. The only problem is that he's not exactly your classic hero type, and his powers are still latent.
You have a badass swordsman beating up wicked monsters with a wooden bokken. I love it when enemies look so bizarre and have crazy superpowers. There isn't much character development; this movie is all about kicking ass. It even adds variety to the pace by having some of the supporting characters doing some of their battles. This is such a great action classic. I highly recommend it.
Buy From Amazon
You can buy this movie from Amazon. It goes for around $20-30 (US).
In the United States, Demon City Shinjuku is available for streaming on Prime Video. You need to subscribe to watch it.Watch on Prime Video
The Prime Video app is available on every set-top box (Apple TV, Roku, Fire sticks, etc.).
Demon City Shinjuku can be watched or downloaded from Archive.org (Internet Archive), or downloaded via torrents from Nyaa. These sites are the best, safest, and most dependable resources to get anime for free.
- To cast the videos to your TV using AirPlay or Chromecast, press the button. This button becomes available when you start playing the video.
- The playable video is English dubbed. If you want Japanese language with subtitles, you need to download Demon City Shinjuku from Nyaa.
- Archive.org tends to be slow. Downloading Demon City Shinjuku from Nyaa is better. Additionally, Nyaa most likley offers a higher quality video, or even a Blu-ray quality video.
- If you don't know what torrents are, YouTube has tutorials. Be mindful that torrent downloads aren't instant. Depending on your Internet speed and number of seeds, it could take up to 24 hours for an anime to download.
- If you need a torrent client, these are the best (they're all free).
- The majority of video downloads from Nyaa are in “MKV” format, and less commonly in “AVI”. If you need a good video player to play these formats, VLC Media Player is the best (and it's free). It's available on every OS, including iOS and Android.
Is the MKV too big?
If you download a large Blu-ray quality MKV from Nyaa, it is possible that your computer or phone/tablet isn't fast enough to play it at full speed. In this case, you can use HandBrake. It's a free video converter; use it to shrink down the video. If you need help using HandBrake, YouTube has tutorials. Another option is to use Plex (mentioned below) because it automatically downsamples large videos when it streams them to your TV.
Playing on your TV
The easiest way to play MKV and AVI videos on your TV is with Plex. It streams movies from your computer to your TV through your Wi-Fi. It's a free app. Install it on your Windows or Mac, then install it on your set-top box (Apple TV, Roku, Fire sticks, etc.). Just note that Plex will only detect these movies in an Other Videos library because the “Movies” library doesn't detect rare/obscure anime classics. If you need help, YouTube has tutorials.
Wrath of the Ninja
Three ninja with mystical weapons fight a war against a dark clan of monstrous ninja.
The “Black Guard” fight a race of poweful mutants for world peace.
Two scientists try to stop a virus that turns people into demons.
Vampires, ghosts, werewolves... all are real! One man seeks to destroy them.