Released in 1997. Directed by Masayuki Ochiai. Written by Ryoichi Kimizuka. Music by Joe Hisaishi.
Kiyomi (Riona Hazuki), the wife of Toshiaki Nagashima (Hiroshi Mikami), is left brain dead after a traffic accident on the day of their first wedding anniversary. Nagashima attempts to make her live again and steals her liver from her corpse. While examining the organ, something from it attacks his assistant Sachiko (Tomoko Nakajima) and turns the assistant into Toshiaki's dead wife. Nagashima later realizes that his dead wife is actually an organization of sentient mitochondria bent on making a new species that will wipe out humanity.
This is the only live action movie featured in this site. It's a special exception because in my main FantasyAnime.com I have a Parasite Eve shrine dedicated to the PlayStation 1 RPG. I'm a big fan of the game, so of course, I had to put up the movie. Both the game and this movie are based on the Parasite Eve novel. The game is actually a sequel to the novel.
I read several reviews before watching this movie. And after watching it, I agree with the general consensus that this movie feels like two movies. The first half is a sad love story. The second half turns into a more traditional 90s horror movie. Reviews are fairly mixed as to whether this movie is good or terrible. As for me, I liked this movie. Just be ready for slow-paced storytelling (which is typical of 90s Japanese movies). I especially recommend this movie if you're a fan of the PlayStation 1 game.
The movie's soundtrack isn't far from the game's soundtrack. It's not bad. I love “Cell”, which plays when Eve reveals herself out of an orange blob of mitochondria. This zip also includes scans of the casing.
- If you have a device that supports casting, via Chrome my videos can be casted to your TV. The cast icon appears after you click to play a video.
- Most of the anime on this site was made for old TV resolutions (non wide screen). However, keep in mind that most modern TVs have the ability to stretch the screen. Try that feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you. Here's a comparison of standard/stretched screens.
- Is video not playing? Wait a minute or two; depending on your Internet speed it could take a while.
- Is video loading slow? The High Quality videos require high speed Internet. You might have better luck with the Low Quality version. If that doesn't help, try downloading the movie so you can play it in full.
Having problems viewing this movie? Need it in another format? Going on a flight? Or just want to keep it? Here it is for download. Right-click the button below and go to Save Target As to download it. Or you can left click it, and on the next page go to File > Save Page As to download it.
- MP4 plays natively on pretty much everything: computers, TVs, smartphones, tablets, video game systems, set-top boxes like Roku/Apple TV, etc.
- Try it out! Save this movie to a thumb drive and play it on your TV.
- As mentioned above in Notes, make use of your TV's stretch feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you.
- Another great option is to use Plex to stream MP4 movies from your computer to your TV through your Wifi. It's a free app. Install it on your Windows or Mac, then install it on your set-top box (Roku/Apple TV/Fire Stick/etc.). Just note that Plex will only detect these movies in an Other Videos library because the “Movies” library doesn't detect rare/obscure anime classics.
1 hr 41 min
Two rival kingdoms vie for fresh water and in the process end up destroying their entire society.
1 hr 31 min
High school students go on an unsuspecting adventure through time.
EYES of Mars
1 hr 12 min
The planet of Mars is dying. A young psychic is everyone's last hope!