In the 1980s, nine up-and-coming Japanese animators were each given the chance to create a short animated work with “robots” as the general theme. Unlike the numerous other robot-themed anime of the era, these were to be created without giving any consideration to commercial viability, merchandise sales, or what any of the other animators would be doing. The result is what is commonly referred to as “anime's Fantasia”: an incredibly high-quality anthology collection of visually disparate stories ranging in tone from the surreal to the absurd. Universally understandable due to the near-complete lack of spoken dialogue, and now given a high-definition restoration, this masterpiece remains just as captivating over 30 years later.
This movie's a great classic. It's effectively an animation festival style compilation of short films, offering a wide variety of tones and styles. It follows a similar vein as Neo Tokyo. Some stories are sad, some are exciting, some are bizarre and highly artistic. I fondly remember Robot Carnival because it premiered on the Sci-fi channel in the mid-90s. Anime was new to me at the time, so this movie left quite an impression and hyped me up to pursue more anime. Any fan of retro anime should watch this.
Having this anime up for FREE isn't easy for me. And I hope that you appreciate that there are NO ads here to annoy your experience of this site. It would be much appreciated if you returned the kind gesture by purchasing something from the FantasyAnime store :) Or buy it from Amazon below.
Buy From Amazon
You can buy this movie from Amazon. It goes for around $18 (US).
- If you have a Chromecast, via Chrome my videos can be casted to your TV. The cast icon appears after you click to play a video. (This is supported on Android devices, Windows, and OSX. Not iOS.)
- Most of the anime on this site was made for old TV resolutions (non wide screen). However, keep in mind that most modern TVs have the ability to stretch the screen. Try that feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you. Here's a comparison of standard/stretched screens.
- Is video not playing? Wait a minute or two; depending on your Internet speed it could take a while.
- Is video loading slow? The High Quality videos require high speed Internet. You might have better luck with the Low Quality version. If that doesn't help, try downloading the movie so you can play it in full.
Having problems viewing this movie? Need it in another format? Going on a flight? Or just want to keep it? Here it is for download. Right-click the button below and go to Save Target As to download it. Or you can left click it, and on the next page go to File > Save Page As to download it.
- MP4 plays natively on pretty much everything: computers, TVs, smartphones, tablets, video game systems, set-top boxes like Roku/Apple TV/Fire Box, etc.
- Try it out! Save this movie to a thumb drive and play it on your TV.
- As mentioned above in Notes, make use of your TV's stretch feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you.
EYES of Mars
1 hr 12 min
The planet of Mars is dying. A young psychic is everyone's last hope!
Cyber City Oedo 808 Series
3 episodes, 40 min each
Three convicts are recruited by the police to fight crime in a cyber punk future.
1 hr 31 min
High school students go on an unsuspecting adventure through time.