Released in 1987. Produced by Kadokawa Shoten. Animation by Madhouse and Project Team Argos.
A collection of three short science-fiction stories. The 50 minute-long film has three segments, each under a different screenwriter and film director: Rintaro's “Labyrinth Labyrinthos,” an exploration into the maze of a little girl's mind, Yoshiaki Kawajiri's “Running Man,” focusing on a deadly auto race, and Katsuhiro Ōtomo's “Construction Cancellation Order,” a cautionary tale about man's dependency on technology. In addition to original music by Godiego's Mickie Yoshino, two prominently feature famous pieces of Western classical music: the first of Erik Satie's Gymnopédies and the “Toreador Song” of Georges Bizet's Carmen in “Labyrinth” and “Morning Mood” from Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt score, in an ironic manner, in "The Order."
This movie follows a similar vein as Robot Carnival by covering several science fiction animated shorts. The first story, Labyrinth Labyrinthos, is bizarre and eccentric. The second story, Running Man, is cool involving paranormal superpowers and racing. The last story, The Order to Stop Construction, is the standout (by the creator of Akira).
While Robot Carnival was popular enough to get a Bluray release, Neo Tokyo only got a limited DVD release. Then it fell into obscurity. I don't understand why--I think both of these movies were great.
- If you have a device that supports casting, via Chrome my videos can be casted to your TV. The cast icon appears after you click to play a video.
- Most of the anime on this site was made for old TV resolutions (non wide screen). However, keep in mind that most modern TVs have the ability to stretch the screen. Try that feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you. Here's a comparison of standard/stretched screens.
- Is video not playing? Wait a minute or two; depending on your Internet speed it could take a while.
- Is video loading slow? The High Quality videos require high speed Internet. You might have better luck with the Low Quality version. If that doesn't help, try downloading the movie so you can play it in full.
Having problems viewing this movie? Need it in another format? Going on a flight? Or just want to keep it? Here it is for download. Right-click the button below and go to Save Target As to download it. Or you can left click it, and on the next page go to File > Save Page As to download it.
- MP4 plays natively on pretty much everything: computers, TVs, smartphones, tablets, video game systems, set-top boxes like Roku/Apple TV, etc.
- Try it out! Save this movie to a thumb drive and play it on your TV.
- As mentioned above in Notes, make use of your TV's stretch feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you.
- Another great option is to use Plex to stream MP4 movies from your computer to your TV through your Wifi. It's a free app. Install it on your Windows or Mac, then install it on your set-top box (Roku/Apple TV/Fire Stick/etc.). Just note that Plex will only detect these movies in an Other Videos library because the “Movies” library doesn't detect rare/obscure anime classics.
They Were Eleven
1 hr 31 min
Space cadets must survive their final exam in an old starship.
EYES of Mars
1 hr 12 min
The planet of Mars is dying. A young psychic is everyone's last hope!
Midnight Eye Gokuu Movies
In a crime-ridden future, a private eye investigates crimes committed by deadly cybernetic criminals.