Released in 1985. Produced by Kadokawa Shoten, Madhouse, Project Team Argos, and Toei Animation. Animation by Madhouse.
A young boy named Jiro finds his mother and sister murdered in his home. Falsely accused of the crime, he flees from his village and meets a priest named Tenkai, who has him kill a rogue ninja named Tarouza. After fulfilling that task, Jiro undergoes training to become a master assassin. Many years later, Jiro finds out that he was an orphan and his real father was Tarouza, who had worked for Tenkai until he aborted his mission when he fell in love with an Ainu woman. The young ninja discovers that the Shogunate was to retrieve the lost treasure of Captain Kidd and use it to once again isolate Japan from the rest of the world. Using the clues that Tarouza had kept secret, Jiro - along with the female ninja Oyuki and a slave named Sam - travels to Russia and America to search for the treasure in hopes of using it to extract revenge from Tenkai.
At 2 hours and 12 minutes, Dagger of Kamui is the longest movie featured on this site. In the North American dub, this movie was also known as Revenge of the Ninja Warrior. The story is like Game of Thrones - lots of characters die. It's dark and gory, as a movie about ninjas should be. For a 1985 movie, the battles are pretty awesome. It wouldn't surprise me if Ninja Scroll was inspired by this movie.
I would recommend Dagger of Kamui to you if you enjoy 80s anime. It spends a great deal of time focusing on building the story and developing the characters. If you don't have an appreciation for 80s anime, then you would find it boring.
Having this anime up for FREE isn't easy for me. And I hope that you appreciate that there are NO ads here to annoy your experience of this site. It would be much appreciated if you returned the kind gesture by purchasing something from the FantasyAnime store :) Or buy it from Amazon below.
Buy From Amazon
You can buy this movie from Amazon. It goes for around $16 (US).
- If you have a Chromecast, via Chrome my videos can be casted to your TV. The cast icon appears after you click to play a video. (This is supported on Android devices, Windows, and OSX. Not iOS.)
- Most of the anime on this site was made for old TV resolutions (non wide screen). However, keep in mind that most modern TVs have the ability to stretch the screen. Try that feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you. Here's a comparison of standard/stretched screens.
- Is video not playing? Wait a minute or two; depending on your Internet speed it could take a while.
- Is video loading slow? The High Quality videos require high speed Internet. You might have better luck with the Low Quality version. If that doesn't help, try downloading the movie so you can play it in full.
Having problems viewing this movie? Need it in another format? Going on a flight? Or just want to keep it? Here it is for download. Right-click the button below and go to Save Target As to download it. Or you can left click it, and on the next page go to File > Save Page As to download it.
- MP4 plays natively on pretty much everything: computers, TVs, smartphones, tablets, video game systems, set-top boxes like Roku/Apple TV, etc.
- Try it out! Save this movie to a thumb drive and play it on your TV.
- As mentioned above in Notes, make use of your TV's stretch feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you.
- Another great option is to use Plex to stream MP4 movies from your computer to your TV through your Wifi. It's a free app. Install it on your Windows or Mac, then install it on your set-top box (Roku/Apple TV/Fire Stick/etc.).
Ninja Resurrection Series
2 episodes, 35 min each
Jubei helps the Japanese government destroy evil mystical forces.
1 hr 22 min
The “Black Guard” fight a race of poweful mutants for world peace.
Demon City Shinjuku
1 hr 17 min
A mystic swordsman battles powerful demons in a ruined city.