This page is for other web designers, or if you're just curious to know how I made the site.
The software I use
I use the following software:
- Adobe Photoshop - Naturally. For all the graphics and drawings. I also use it for animated GIFs and sometimes for video. Don't have Photoshop? There are some free alternatives.
- Adobe Dreamweaver - Well, I don't really use Dreamweaver. I mainly use it as a mere HTML editor and I type all the code by hand. Want some free alternatives? There's Brackets and Notepad++.
- Adobe Illustrator - For all my vector work. All my vector desktop wallpapers were made here. Whenever I recreated a classic game's logo, I did it here. Working with vector takes FOREVER, but it's so worth it when you have a picture you can stretch to any size without having it lose quality.
- Adobe After Effects - For all my video work.
- Adobe Bridge - Its batch file renaming feature is invaluable! All those hundreds of game art and screen shots I have, I can rename them in an instant with this.
- FileZilla - My favorite FTP client. It's free!
- XAMPP - My favorite virtual server. It's free and very easy to set up. I primarily use it for my PHP includes.
- Blender 3D - My 3D desktop wallpapers and the 3D you see in my Final Fantasy IX and Super Mario RPG shrines came from here. Blender is free and open source! And just because it's free doesn't mean it's not very good. It can produce Pixar quality work!
- Freemake Video Converter - For all of my video conversion needs. It's so easy to use with its presets. And it's free!
- WinLame - For all of my audio conversion needs. It's easy to use with its presets. And it's free! Then I use MP3TAG to batch tagging.
The code I use
I programmed FantasyAnime in the following:
- HTML4 & CSS - For all of my older pages.
- HTML5 & CSS3 - For all of my new pages, including this one. In particular, I'm using the powerful @media CSS command to make this site responsive on smartphones and tablets.
- PHP - I have the extension hidden, but these pages are PHP. I'm not doing anything fancy. I'm mainly using it for includes and the contact form.
- Bootstrap - My preferred responsive framework.
Want to learn any of the above languages? I've read many web design books and the publisher that I have found to be the best is Sitepoint. I've wasted my time with books that teach you every piece of a language, but don't offer practical examples. It's like giving you building blocks and not telling you how to put them together. Video tutorials are guilty of this too. Sitepoint, however, applies everything they teach you to realworld examples; scripts you'll actually use. So here are some of their books: