At the turn of the millennium, Ginei Studio's dilapidated buildings are set to be demolished. Ex-employee and filmmaker Genya Tachibana decides to honor this occasion with a commemorative documentary about the company's star actress: Chiyoko Fujiwara, the reclusive sweetheart of Shouwa Era cinema. Having finally obtained permission to interview the retired starlet, an enamored Genya drags along cynical cameraman Kyouji Ida to meet her, ready to put his lifelong idol back in the spotlight once more.
Hidden in this secluded mountain retreat is a thousand years of history condensed into one lifetime, waiting to be narrated. Chiyoko's recollections take them on an illusionary journey through Japanese cinematic history that transcends the boundaries of reality; the saga of her acting career intertwines with her filmography, the actors in her life blend seamlessly with the characters on screen, and the present melds with the past. Though the actress may have retired at the height of her career 30 years ago, the curtain on her life's stage has yet to fall.
Dramas normally put me to sleep, but Millennium Actress never has a dull moment. Every scene jumps to a different point in her life. The storytelling always has you questioning if the scene is from one of her movies or one of her memories. The filmmaker and his cameraman also periodically appear in the background. Sometimes they're spectators and other times the filmmaker portrays actors in her movies. These constant, unpredictable shifts in the storytelling keep the movie interesting. A little bit of fantasy and sci-fi is sprinkled into it, too. Millennium Actress has won several awards--it's excellent!
Having this anime up for FREE isn't easy for me. And I hope that you appreciate that there are NO ads here to annoy your experience of this site. It would be much appreciated if you returned the kind gesture by purchasing something from the FantasyAnime store :) Or buy it from Amazon below.
Buy From Amazon
You can buy this movie from Amazon. It goes for around $99 (US).
- If you have a Chromecast, via Chrome my videos can be casted to your TV. The cast icon appears after you click to play a video. (This is supported on Android devices, Windows, and OSX. Not iOS.)
- Most of the anime on this site was made for old TV resolutions (non wide screen). However, keep in mind that most modern TVs have the ability to stretch the screen. Try that feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you. Here's a comparison of standard/stretched screens.
- Is video not playing? Wait a minute or two; depending on your Internet speed it could take a while.
- Is video loading slow? The High Quality videos require high speed Internet. You might have better luck with the Low Quality version. If that doesn't help, try downloading the movie so you can play it in full.
Having problems viewing this movie? Need it in another format? Going on a flight? Or just want to keep it? Here it is for download. Right-click the button below and go to Save Target As to download it. Or you can left click it, and on the next page go to File > Save Page As to download it.
- MP4 plays natively on pretty much everything: computers, TVs, smartphones, tablets, video game systems, set-top boxes like Roku/Apple TV/Fire Box, etc.
- Try it out! Save this movie to a thumb drive and play it on your TV.
- As mentioned above in Notes, make use of your TV's stretch feature if the vertically cropped screen is bothering you.
They Were Eleven
1 hr 31 min
Space cadets must survive their final exam in an old starship.
2 hr 1 min
A deceased woman mysteriously comes back to life with the power of mitochondria, and with an evil agenda!
The Dagger of Kamui
2 hr 12 min
A ninja soap opera that takes you on a bloody rollercoaster of lies, betrayal, and revenge!